How to Run Chrome OS Flex on Your PC or Mac for FREE: Best Guide
Google has also implemented a method for certifying gadgets that classifies them into three tiers according on how well they work. Naturally, not all is well with the numerous gadgets mentioned in the database. For instance, when Chrome OS Flex is installed on some MacBook Air models, the webcam becomes useless. Additional hardware difficulties with features like Bluetooth, touchscreens, SD card slots, and others are possible.
According to Google, installing Chrome OS on an outdated PC or Mac is rather simple. All you need is a USB drive on which the bootable Chrome OS Flex will be downloaded. Install the operating system by simply connecting the drive to your outdated computer.
What is Chrome OS Flex from Google?
Do you know what “CloudReady” is? If not, allow me to explain what it is. Based on the open-source Chromium OS, Neverware, a New York-based firm, produced the CloudReady solution. Google bought Neverware in 2020.
Neverware assisted numerous organisations and institutions update their outdated Windows PCs and Macs as the creators of CloudReady, an operating system based on Chromium OS. Chrome OS Flex was created by the same group of people.
Following Google’s acquisition of the project, Chrome OS Flex, also known as CloudReady 2.0, would serve as the company’s official desktop operating system and support the Google Assistant and other Google Services. They have most recently implemented Linux support. Sadly, there are no indications that Google will integrate Play Store with Chrome OS flex.
It’s crucial to remember that Chrome OS Flex is still in development, so bugs are obviously a possibility. In the upcoming months, Google will release a stable version of Chrome OS Flex, and at that time, customers of CloudReady will be the first to receive a free upgrade to Chrome OS Flex.
How to Install Flex on Chrome OS?
For Enterprise and Education users, Chrome OS Flex is now available from Google without cost. Chrome OS Flex may be set up on Windows computers and MacBooks by home users as well. However, before you start the installation, your PC needs to match the following requirements.
- A USB flash disc with no less than 8GB of space.
- Google Chrome on a Mac or Windows computer.
- System with x86-64-bit processors from Intel or AMD.
- 4GB of RAM minimum.
- 16GB or more of storage space.
- Complete control over the BIOS.
- Device type that is Chrome OS Flex Certified.
You need not be concerned if your gadget is not included in the list. Chrome OS Flex may still be set up on Windows or Mac computers. In these circumstances, some features might not function. On a non-certified model, Chrome OS flex underwent our testing, and it performed admirably.
Step By Step Guide: Create your Bootable USB Drive
- On your computer, launch the Google Chrome browser, and then click here to launch the Chrome Web Store.
- Now, open the extension by typing “Chromebook Recovery Utility” into the search box on the Chrome Web Store’s website.
- After that, you can install the web extension on your Google Chrome browser by selecting the Add to Chrome option.
- On the upper right side of the Chrome browser, locate the Extensions button and select the Manage Extensions link.
- Enable the Chromebook Recovery Utility extensions on the Manage Extensions tab by sliding the slider to the right.
- Start the Chromebook Recovery Utility extension now by clicking on the Get Started button under the Extension icon on the Chrome browser.
- Then select a model from the list from the menu. Scroll down to the drop-down box under the “Select a Manufacturer” option and click the “Google Chrome OS Flex” option.
- After that, select Chrome OS Flex (developer-unstable) from the drop-down menu by clicking on the Select a Product option and then scrolling down once more.
- After choosing that choice, press the Continue button. Select your USB drive from the drop-down menu on the Insert your USB Drive option now that it is inserted in your computer, and then click the Continue button once more.
- After that, select Create Now from the menu. Your bootable USB Drive will now take 20 to 30 minutes to build. Once this process is finished, select Done, and your bootable USB Drive will be produced.
Get Chrome OS Flex installed on your computer
- Restart your PC or laptop and press the Boot key on your computer device after the flashing process is finished.
- You can boot the OS by pressing the Boot Key to have the Boot Manager menu display on the screen.
- Using the arrow keys on your keyboard, choose your bootable USB drive on the Boot Selection window, and then press the Enter key.
- Your computer’s screen will now display a new interface. Simply select the Get Started option, and then carefully read the on-screen directions.
- Prior to installing the operating system on your hard drive, in my opinion, select the Try it Once option. You can use this to determine whether your Wi-Fi, keyboard, mouse, Bluetooth, and other hardware options are compatible with the operating system.
- When you’re prepared to install Chrome OS Flex on your computer, select Install CloudReady 2.0 and then select Next. Please be aware that completing this action will completely erase your hard drive, so make a backup of your data first.
- Click the You option, followed by the Next option, on the Who’s using this Chrome device menu.
- Enter your email address and password to access your Google Account now, and then select the Accept and Continue option.
- Finally, select Get Started from the menu. Your PC will then successfully have the Chrome OS Flex Operating System installed.
Ending Notes on How to Run Chrome OS Flex on Your PC or Mac :
The installation of Chrome OS Flex on Windows laptops was covered in the tutorial above. Because of Google’s Chromebook Recovery Utility extension, the methods are the same even if we didn’t test Chrome OS Flex on an Apple MacBook. By using the same procedure, you may run Chrome OS Flex on a Mac PC or MacBook laptop.
Please share any queries you may have about the process in the comments section below. As we always do, we will undoubtedly find a solution.