Video backgrounds can be used to hide your actual background or to add a fun element to your video calling experience. Apps like Zoom, Google Meet, and Microsoft Teams have had virtual video call backgrounds for a while now. Thankfully, you can now change video backgrounds during Discord video calls as well. Let’s check how to use Discord video backgrounds in servers and DMs.
How to Use Virtual Backgrounds for all Discord Video Calls
For the unaware, video backgrounds change the background that appears behind you by replacing it with a new image or blurring the background without a green screen. Please note the ability to change backgrounds is available on Discord desktop clients only. You cannot change the video background in Discord mobile apps.
- Open the Discord app and click on the Settings icon at the bottom.
- From the left sidebar, go to the Voice & video tab.
- In the right panel, scroll down to the Video Settings section. You will find the Video Background segment. By default, no video background is selected. Click on a background from the list that you want to use.
- In addition to virtual backgrounds, you can also blur your existing background in Discord video calls. For that, press the Blur button.
- Slightly scroll up and click on the Test video button to preview the selected video background. That’s it. Now, all video calls will use the virtual background.
How to Remove the Virtual Backgrounds From All Discord Phones
Open Discord Settings and go to the Voice and video tab. Navigate to the Video background section in the right panel. Click on None to stop using any video background.
How to Add or Delete Custom Video Backgrounds
Sadly, the native background options are limited in Discord. And the ability to add custom backgrounds is available only to Discord Nitro users. Find out how to get Discord Nitro for free.
If you are a Discord Nitro user, follow the steps mentioned in the above methods to reach the Change background screen. Then, click on the Custom button to upload your own background image. You can crop the background to fit it as per your requirement.
Please note the following conditions for custom backgrounds:
- The accepted image file types are JPG and PNG only.
- The maximum image file size is 10MB.
- Only 10 custom backgrounds can be added to a Discord account. You will need to delete an existing background to add more backgrounds.
To remove a custom background image, open Discord Settings > Voice & video tab. Go to the Video background section. Right-click on a custom background and select Remove background. You can remove backgrounds before joining a video call as well.